Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Interview

I went for my 1st job interview yesterday and it seems doesnt went as well as i thought it would be. Kinda nervous during the process and the different approach of the interview took me off guard. Sigh~

For my 1st interview in the Lion City, i have to travel to Tanjung Pagar, an southern part of the island. Good thing about Singapore is its public transport which pretty much covers the whole country and quite hassle free too. I able to arrive at the tanjung pagar station without much trouble.

Anyway the trouble starts here. There i was having much difficulty finding the street where the shop (if hired, i will be working as a graphic artist) situated. I was lost in a seemly vast city and quite overwhelmed by the busy seas of people. Heck, even KL is not as hectic as here. I was standing there figuring where the heck am i while looking at the map book i brought which proved quite useless. I pretty much going around in circles for about half an hour. Guess it better to ask for direction. Ask and be enlighten.

Thanks to an uncle i finally get my bearings right. Seems i overlook a seemly small street just ahead from where i started *sweats*. Lo and behold, Amoy Street. What interesting a bout this street is that there's a really big food center in the middle and by the time i was there, it was lunchtime. Can i say horde of white collar workers. And another thing is, it seems the place is one of the tourist attractions in Singapore. There is an old temple, a hill park and old shophouses with a modern day twist. Hope i will show what it really looks like with some pics soon.

After lunch (still early), i went for my interview. First thing it caught my eyes, is its window displays. The shop is specialize in printing which is mostly name cards. I look at the displayed design and thought there nothing that i cant handle here. Confidence blooming, i walked into the shop. After some time the interviewer showed up and just tossed some forms for me to fill. As i look around, i seems quite "alienated" Just say i'm not comfortable around office full of dolled up women. And it doesnt help the situation when i suddenly have a stomachache. Finished and handed over the form, the lady interviewer ask me to perform a simple test which is redesign a simple namecard from a sample. Okey, looks simple but with my stomachache in full gear i have to ask for a toilet break from the interviewer beside me.

How embarassing, i thought. I looks stupid too. Anyway with a reminded time limit, i trying best redesigning the card without much concept in mind. Duh, it's been some time since i used Illustrator CS, need time to relearn somewhat. The interviewer just took just short look at the monitor and inform me they will call me if i am hired. Guess it's over. I offered my portfolio cd to her to look but she declined.. not very sure why. Anyway i can only pray i'll get the job. I sure i did the test quite well. I think.. Need to remind myself not eat anything spicy again.

No comments: